Newsletter and FAQ about the SYR 2015 conference…
MAJOR CONFERENCE ON FORCED MARRIAGE ORGANISED BY LOCAL CHARITY.
· Have you received your invitation?
– If not it’s okey, you still have time to RSVP…
your invitation below.
Invitation to attend major Conference
Did you know that forced marriage is a crime?
Save Your Rights (SYR), in conjunction with the Luton South Ward Community First (Community Development Foundation) and Diverse fm would like to invite you to a free conference at the University of Bedfordshire on Thursday, 26 March 2015, 1100 – 1700 hours. Registration and refreshment available from 11 am. The programme will commence at 12 noon.
This is a unique opportunity to hear a distinguished panel of experts and speakers discuss this this controversial, but important topic.
Who should attend?
· Those who work with victims of forced marriage, domestic violence, or honour crime.
· Those who know or support a victim of forced marriage – or who have been affected in some way by the issue.
· Anyone with an interest in forced marriage, honour crime, womens’ rights or human rights in general.
· Newly qualified legal practitioner.
· Students and Law School Student or graduate.
· News and Media reporter.
· Community worker. Politician. Social worker. GP (Doctor). Community leader. Faith leader (Imam / priest). Teacher / Lecturer. Social and Civil Rights Campaigner.
To confirm your attendance please email: [email protected]
Secretary Barrister Miss Lynne Townley
Save Your Rights
What to expect at conference?
- As you arrived SYR volunteer will check your details (name, email etc)
- You may be asked to show your ID, please do bring a recognised photo ID of you such as Passport, Driving Licence, Service ID, Student ID etc.
- If you wear full face cover one of SYR female volunteer will ask you show face in a reasonable space and check with your ID.
Lunch and Food:
- After registration, SYR will provide you light lunch (Halal will be available, if you have any specific diet other than Halal food please do inform our Admin Team).
- SYR will provide soft beverage.
Can I bring a friend?
- Yes, you can bring up to three friends, but you must provide SYR with your friend’s name and contact details.
- Your friend must bring an ID with him/her. If our volunteer ask to show an ID, guest must show a valid recognisable ID.
Can I take photo or Video?
- For journalist and media, you may request a ticket to SYR. Reasonable photography expected. However, SYR will supply official photograph after the event together with its press release.
- For all other guest you are allowed to take picture or record the event as long as you respect other’s privacy (if you asked to not to record, must not record) and do not distruct speakers.
What will be covered at the event?
|The conference will cover a wide range of topics including:- Various types of Forced Marriages and causes of them
– Diversity, Social and Community engagement for prevention
– Recent legislation and any legal aspects
– CPS point of view
– Advice to professionals and teacher
– FMU and its future plan
– Victim support
– And more
Who will speak at the event?
Conference speaker will come from diverse background –
– Charity worker
– Victim support service
– Government Forced Marriage Unit
– Legal practitioner and professional
– Academic and researcher
Can I ask a question?
Yes, off course – We have allocated a good amount of time for our audience to ask question. It will be open to floor, our guest will be free to ask question, give opinion or share their experience.
Can I volunteer?
- SYR is an open organisation, welcome member of community and student to join. Please go to our website and register yourself, you can also send your cv with a covering letter explaining your expertise, interest and availability to Admin Team.
Notes to the editors:
Save Your Rights (SYR) is a registered human rights charity (No – 1130378). SYR campaign committed to ending forced marriages, working in the UK and many other countries. This newsletter is published on 12 March 2015 and on behalf of SYR secretary Miss. Lynne Townley (LLB Hons, LLM, Barrister-at-law). For further information about this project, please write to us for the attention of project director to [email protected]
Anyone interested in supporting this multi-faith, multi-cultural campaigning organisation to end forced marriages contact:
Save Your Rights (SYR)
Email: [email protected]
Call/Text: +44 (0) 7988 841 228
(For help and advice [email protected])